Yu Li accepted a position at Loyola Marymount University in the Fall of 2018.
She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Li joined Emory University in 2007. She is a Senior Lecturer of the Chinese Program, the East Asian Studies Program, and the Program in Linguistics. Dr. Li received her PhD (2007) in Linguistics from the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, and MA (2002) in Linguistics and BA (2000) in English Language and Literature from Peking University. She currently serves as the review editor for Chinese as a Second Language (http://clta-us.org/publications/).
Areas of interest
- Chinese language pedagogy
- Chinese linguistics
- Phonetics and phonology
- Language and culture interface
- Technology in language teaching
Courses Taught at Emory
- Chinese Writing Systems in Asia (Chinese/East Asian Studies/Linguistics 235)
- Chinese Language, Culture, and Society (Chinese/East Asian Studies/Linguistics 335)
- Chinese Art, Culture, and Society through Calligraphy (Chinese/East Asian Studies/Visual Arts 215)
- East Asian Calligraphy (East Asian Studies 216/Chinese 216/Art History 216/Anthropology 217)
- Sounds of Human Languages (Linguistics 210)
- Elementary Chinese I (Chinese 101)
- Elementery Chinese II (Chinese 102)
- Intermediate Chinese I (Chinese 201)
- Intermediate Chinese for Heritage Speakers (Chinese 203)
- Advanced Chinese I (Chinese 301)
- Advanced Chinese II (Chinese 302)
- Advanced Chinese for Heritage Speakers (Chinese 303)
- Advanced Reading and Writing in Modern Chinese (Chinese 401)
- Advanced Reading and Writing in Modern Chinese II (Chinese 402)
- Directed Research in Linguistics (Linguistics 499)
- Directed Study in Linguistics (Linguistics 497)
- Crowley, C. & Li, Y. (2016). Calligraphy in East Asia: Art, Communication and Symbology. Education About Asia, 21(3), 19-21.
- Li, Y. (2016). 翻转课堂中语法自学板块的设计理念 [Design principles for self-guided grammar studies in a flipped classroom]. 李晓琪、张建民、徐娟（主编）. In X. Li, J. Zhang & J. Xu (Eds.), 数字化汉语教学-2016. Digitized Teaching and Learning of Chinese Language – 2016. 北京：清华大学出版社.253-257页. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press. 253-257.
- Li, Y. & Zhang, Zheng-sheng. (2016). CFL Education at the College Level. In Ruan, JN, Zhang, J., & Leung, C. (Eds.) Chinese Language Education in the United States. New York: Springer. 141-166.
- Li, Y., Li, H. & Chuchran, L. (2015). Talk to the Computer Before You Talk with Us: Flipped Classroom 2.0. The Language Educator, Mar./Apr., 42-44.
- Li, Y. (2015). 能性述补结构“V得C”与动宾结构“能VC”的语用辨析及其教学应用 [“V de C” v.s. “Neng VC”: Comparative Analysis and Pedagogical Applications]. In Tao, H. et al. (Eds.) Proceedings of the 27th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-27), 2015, Vol. 1. 262-268.
- Li, Y. (2015). 从西方语言教学理论看中国书法与文化教学的融合 [Integration of Chinese Calligraphy and Cultural Education: Perspectives from Western Theories of Language Pedagogy]. In Tang, KZ & Tu, XS (Eds.) 文心丝路：中国书法的跨文化交流与合作暨第九届汉字书法教育国际研讨会论文集 [Cross-cultural Communication and Collaboration in Chinese Calligraphy – Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Hanzi Calligraphy Education]. Nanning: Guangxi Fine Arts Press. 303-312.
- Li, H. & Li, Yu. (2014). 运用 VoiceThread在汉语作为外语的教学中翻转课堂 [Fipping the classroom using VoiceThread in CFL teaching and learning]. In Li, XQ., Jia, YM., & Xu, J. (Eds.) 数字化汉语教学 [Digital technology in the teaching of Chinese]. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press. 287-293.
- Li, Y., Wen, XH, & Xie, TW. (2014) CLTA 2012 Survey of College-Level Chinese Language Programs in North America. Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association, 49 (1), 1-49.
- Li, Y. & Crowley, C. (2013). Integrating East Asian Language and Cultural Studies through Calligraphy. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Calligraphy Education.
- Li, Y. (2012). Designing and Implementing Student-Centered and Curriculum-Based Online Placement Tests. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference & Workshop on Technology and Chinese Language Teaching. National Foreign Language Resource Center, University of Hawai‘I at Manoa. 233-238.
- Li, Y. (2012). 旧瓶装新酒：数码故事在汉语作为外语的教学中的应用.[New Wine in Old Bottles: Digital Storytelling in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.] 李晓琪、张建民、徐娟（主编）. In Xiaoqi Li, Jianmin Zhang & Juan Xu (Eds.), 数字化汉语教学-2012. Digitized Teaching and Learning of Chinese Language – 2012. 北京：清华大学出版社.232-238页.Beijing: Tsinghua University Press. 232-238.
- Li, Y. (2012). Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language: Theories and Applications [Review of the book]. Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers' Association, 47(3),
- Li, Y. (2011) A Broader Interdisciplinary Approach to Calligraphy-Related Course Development: Towards an Integrated Chinese Curriculum. Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers’ Association, 46(3), 49-60.
- Li, Y. & Zhang, J. (2010) Videoconferencing in teaching Chinese as a foreign language: Applications and reflections. In Zhang, J & Xu, J. (eds) Technologies in Chinese language teaching. Beijing: Tsinghua UP.
- Wolff, P., Jeon, G., & Li, Y. (2009) Causal agents in English, Korean and Chinese: The role of internal and external causation. Language and Cognition.
- Wolff, P., Jeon, G., Klettke, B., & Li, Y. (2009) Force creation and possible causers across languages. In B. Malt, & P. Wolff (Eds.), Words and the world: How words capture human experience. Oxford: Oxford University Press.